Wednesday, March 30, 2011

#26: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Alright, this is going to cause revolts.  I'm going to assume that I have Zelda: OoT at least 20 spots worse than many of you would.  I'm sorry about that, but hear me out before you murder me... please.

Let's start where we should start, which is at Ocarina's kudos.  This game (along with Super Mario 64) is the basis from which all 3-dimensional games got their start.  Every single 3-dimensional adventure game owes a "thank you" to Zelda.  Simply put, it innovated a perfect control scheme and an... ok camera in a genre that had no standards.  Now it does, all because of this game.

Zelda: OoT features the same "find an item in a dungeon to solve the dungeon"  hook as the previous two games had.  It worked extremely well and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The items from the Zelda universe translated perfectly to a 3-dimensional world and that's a tribute to excellent programming.  The game is extremely fun, the bosses are exciting, and the platforming works, which is a triumph for a game that features no jump button.

Now the stuff that bumps it down the list, please, read it calmly and then fume.
  • The combat is button mashing, pure and simple.  There's no timing required, it's swing-swing-swing til your enemy dies.  Most other Zelda's have much better combat.
  • Just about every innovation in the Zelda series started elsewhere.  Epona is the only one from OoT that I can think of off the top of my head.
  • The camera got wonky, although for how new it was, I can't really dock too many points for that.
  • An awful final boss battle.  He wasn't difficult and I didn't feel like I accomplished anything by beating him.
I have to put these gripes into quick bullet points because whenever I say that it wasn't the greatest game ever, I'm obligated to explain myself.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that I expect to catch more flak for this game than any other.  So, let's debate in the comment section.

The game is still amazing.  I still love playing it.  However, now when I have a choice, there are two other Zelda's that I start up first.  Those 2 are further up the countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment