Monday, March 28, 2011

#31: Earthbound

Out of the next 10 games on my top 50 list, I feature 4 classic Japanese RPG's.  Earthbound is the first one of that trend.

Earthbound is an RPG that features just about every standard RPG element.  The twist for Earthbound is that it's all in a present day scenario.  Your main character will use a baseball bat and yo-yo's as his weapons.  You'll eat pizza and pasta to gain health.  You'll visit towns that real people could live in.  I was a kid when I first played this game and Earthbound's first enemies are bees and wild dogs.  As a kid, I immediately grew a bond with the main character.  "This guy goes through what I go through!"  Throughout the course of the game, he goes through a whole lot more than I ever would, but I still had that bond.

The game has 2 main differences that set it above your average RPG.

First is the sense of humor.  The game makes fun of itself and the world it's simulating constantly.  There are over-the-top personalities, puns, and stereotypical enemies (that the game mocks).  The first four towns are Onett, Twoson, Threed, and Fourside.  These constant jokes and wordplays keep the conversations interesting.
The second difference is a great one and  I can't freaking believe that it's not a standard in all RPG's.  In Earthbound, if you enter a fight that you're going to without a doubt win, the game skips the fight for you and you get the rewards.  Why isn't this common now!?!?  In other RPG's, why do I have to waste time to find out if my level 99 party will defeat the lone level 7 mouse?  It's sad that this innovation didn't continue any further.

If you ever get a chance to play Earthbound, please do.  Unfortunately, it's become a very expensive collector's item, so good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment