Friday, March 25, 2011

#38: Halo Reach

It's the least important non-expansion Halo game.  So, it's not that high on my list.  However, I believe that it's the most balanced.  Halo Reach at number 38 seems about right.

Reach didn't introduce anything major, but it applied some spit-shine to everything in the universe.
  • Get rid of Halo 3's equipment and replace it with something constantly available, but not overpowering?  Check (armor abilities)
  • Make the map editor easy to work with including a number of snap-to options?  Check
  • Add an original matchtype? Check (Invasion)
  • Add some squad based play to the game?  Check (Invasion again)
  • Learn from Halo ODST and add some real storytelling to the game?  Check, great campaign
  • Prove that it can be more than a sci-fi shooter?  Check (the excellent flight mission)
The thing that always brings me back to the Halo franchise is the "Halo Moments" (patent pending, BluePai).  It normally happens once to twice a match.  It's the point in every match when you go "Holy monkey bubbles!  Did you guys see that?!?  That was amazing!  We have to watch that in the theater!"

I picked the game up again 2 hours ago to play with my normal gaming crew.  I hadn't played in weeks, but a Halo Moment happened in the very first match.  It was excellent, and I'm going to share it with you here.

(Please click the link to the actual video, I don't know how to make it larger yet.)
We had a warthog full of people cheering as this happened.  I Love Halo Moments.

Halo Reach is not the best game in the world.  It's not the most complex.  It's not the most innovative.  But Bungie has made a game where absolutely everything that they've put into Halo Reach is tuned to perfection.  It's why Halo's been the most played tournament shooter, but also enjoyed by newbies.  And it's why I can't stop playing this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment